Clay Cross Victoria Buildings High Street, Clay Cross 1876/78
The Victoria building on High Street Clay Cross is still a major building in the town.
The building was built in 1876 by Abraham Linacre and represented strong commercial confidence in the town. The row is three storied shops and a hotel named (The Victoria Hotel) The hotel closed many years ago but was once a major public house in the new thriving town. The buildings was very well preserved until recent times when it started to look run down, it largely retains its original sash windows and Victorian characteristics.
The building was built just 27 year after the St Bartholomew church foundation stone was laid in 1849 and was occupied by Fred Oxley. He was one of the shops in the Victoria buildings, once a thriving business in the town. selling clothing and more. Another shop the Globe Tea Company.