The foundation stone for the church was laid 14th August 1849. The Church was consecrated by the Bishop of Lichfield on 25 January 1851. It was built to the designs of the architect Henry Isaac Stevens by the contractors Samuel Watts of Derby and Mr Kirkland of Clay Cross.The spire was completed in 1856 by Mr. Watt of Ashover and the vestry was added three year later in 1859 by George Edmund Street. The stone used for building was from Bole Hill Wingerworth.
At the same time George Stephenson was building the Clay Cross Company (Clay Cross Works) and the tunnel through Clay Cross.