Parkhouse Colliery was just one of the many collieries
that was situated in the area.
In 1882 it was the scene of a dreadful disaster with 34 lives lost.
A memorial was erected in the local cemetery in memory of all the victims of that tragic disaster.
On the crossroad's of Stretton Road, High Street, Clay Lane and
Thanet Street stood the cross from which the town derived its name.
The stone that the cross once stood in can today be found in
St Bartholomew's Church Yard in the town.
Early Christians are thought to have erected the cross on a pilgrimage.
The Parish Church ( St Bartholomew) was founded in 1851. The churchyard was closed for burials in 1878 because of the heavy death rate.
Clay Cross stands 420 feet above sea level on the A61, 5 mile south of Chesterfield, 20 mile north of Derby in Derbyshire.
The now A61 and Clay Cross go back to the Roman times when the main road was called Rykneld Street.
Or Mail Them To firstname.lastname@example.org
In the early nineteenth century Clay Cross was rural. Just a hand full of houses on the crossroads
George Stephenson inventor of the Rocket, Railway Pioneer changed the area in 1837 by building the Clay Cross Tunnel for his main line,
Derby to Leeds.
Whilst in construction he found coal and iron. Prompting him to sink several colliery shafts bringing money to the town.
In 1851 he also founded the Clay Cross Company
(Clay Cross Works) later known as Biwater.
The company was finally closed in 2000 with the loss of 700 jobs